Sunday, February 9, 2014

Saturday's Offering



I have found I just love pork tenderloin. It is lean, and tender and easy to make. I don't actually have a recipe page to link to, as I made this myself. So I thought I would attempt to retrace the steps I did to make this. It is difficult as I made it up as I went, and didn't measure anything.

Pork Tenderloin in Red Wine Sauce

1 Pork tenderloin
salt
pepper
garlic powder
dried thyme
dried sage
dried rosemary
olive oil
1/2 c chopped onion
1 c red wine
1/2 c chicken broth
2 Tbsp butter

Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, sage and rosemary in a small bowl. Just make enough of the mix to coat each side of the tenderloin rounds. Remove the silver lining and trim the pork tenderloin. Cut into 2-3" rounds, and flatten with the palm of your hand. Sprinkle the spice mix on each side of the rounds and press in. Heat a frying pan and add olive oil. Brown the pork rounds until nice and golden on each side. Remove to a plate and keep warm. In any remaining oil, add the chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the wine and stir up the brown bits in the pan. On medium heat, let the wine reduce for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and let reduce another 5 minutes. Add the meat back in, and let simmer until reduced by at least half, or even more. Turn the meat once so it finishes cooking. At the end, add the butter and let melt and mix in. Place meat on your plate, and drizzle sauce over it. Serve with green beans with roasted red pepper, and lemon butter cabbage. Serves about 3, depending on how thick you cut the meat.

Lemon-Butter Cabbage

1/2 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
2 stalks of celery (from the middle of the stalk, including the leaves)
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp lemon juice
dill weed

Melt butter in a pan and add cabbage, chopped up celery, and salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add lemon juice and cook until thoroughly warmed through. Sprinkle with dill weed.
 Serves 2

For the green beans, I simply cooked up some frozen green beans, and when they were cooked to my liking, I added a chopped up (bottled) roasted red pepper and a bit of butter and heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment