Monday, February 17, 2014

Dinner and Dessert



Okay, get ready to roll your eyes. Chris! This was amazing. It is a low carb donair sans the pita bread.
I found this recipe at Active Low Carber. Geoff thought it was amazing.
The one thing I did a bit different was to add some mayonnaise to the sauce, because I didn't think it was quite tangy enough. I also didn't add the tomatoes, because I don't like tomatoes on my donairs.
I did not regrind the meat as I felt it would be fine the way it was. I also made 1/2 a recipe for the two of us, and it made enough for 6 1/2" slices each with enough left over for lunch tomorrow.
 It is very garlicky...or maybe it was the extra garlic powder I put in it...? At any rate, pair it with a nice salad, and it gets 2 thumbs up! Vampires beware.

Donairs

 
Yields: 8 servings

Meat:
4 lb Ground beef
2 t Onion powder
4 t Garlic powder
2 t Oregano dried
2 t Parsley dried
2 t Ground pepper
2 t Chili powder
2 t Cayenne pepper
2 eggs
Sauce:
8 oz Cream Cheese - softened
6 t Splenda (or to taste)
2 cloves Garlic - chopped
3 t Vinegar (or to taste)
Toppings:
1/2 Green Pepper - chopped
1/2 Tomato - chopped
1/4 Onion - chopped
 

 
1 Regrind ground beef until you have a smooth paste. You don't have to do this but it makes for a better texture. I use my food processor.
2 Add spices and two eggs. Knead until well mixed.
3 Press mixture tightly into meat loaf pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, checking it every half hour, and drain the fat off if necessary.
4 In the meantime combine cream cheese, chopped garlic, Splenda & vinegar to taste and mix until smooth.
5 Cut thin slices from meat and quickly fry before topping with chopped vegetables and sauce.



Now, for an amazing dessert!

Kahlua Chocolate Cream



I found this little jewel over at Deliciously Thin. I am so happy, because it is absolutely delicious and so creamy. It has a tangy taste to it, overlaid with a yummy hint of coffee. I added a spoonful of Cool Whip and the sweetness of it added a nice touch. I sprinkled a bit of cocoa over the top as well.
I found the DaVinci Kahlua Syrup at Sam's Club. I do believe that the Coffee Connection has it in Calgary. I made a half recipe for Geoff and I. Now I wish I had made the whole thing so we would have more for tomorrow! Ha ha
 I think it looked so pretty in these little dessert glasses. Geoff though he could have this every 5 hours.

Kahlua Chocolate Cream

Yields: 4 Servings

8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup DaVinci sugar free Kahlua syrup
2 packets of Truvia sweetener or equivalent Splenda
1 teaspoon cocoa powder

 

 
Let cream cheese soften to room temperature. Combine ingredients in large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Divide into individual servings and chill.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment