Friday, February 21, 2014

French Onion Burger with Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole


I am having a bit of trouble with this meal. I think it is because of two things. 1) I overcooked the burger, so it is was kind of dry and 2) I have come to the conclusion that I do not like cream cheese in sauces. The overall concept is really good, so I will try this again with a few changes.

The "Mac" and Cheese recipe came from Food Network - Low Carb and Loving It. I also don't have permission to post their recipes, so you can just go there to see the recipe if you want. I really like the concept of this, but again, I didn't like the cream cheese in it, so I will try to find a different recipe that doesn't use cream cheese.

If I make this again, I will let you know.

I got the burger recipe from Food I Make My Soldier.  I used mozza because I didn't have gruyere. This is a unique and yummy burger. I think I will buy gruyere next time so I can try it the right way. I cooked it in the stovetop first because we don't have a grill, then I finished it in the oven to melt the cheese. Thanks Nicole!

French Onion Burgers

Yields: 5 burgers

3 lbs ground beef
1 cup beef broth
1 Tbsp thyme
dash of cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 onions, sliced thin
5 slices Gruyere cheese

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, or heat your grill.
In a large bowl, mix together your meat, beef broth, thyme, cayenne, salt, pepper and Parmesan. Set aside.
Heat a medium pan with 1 Tbsp butter, and once melted, add the onion slices. Saute your onions until tender. This takes about 10 minutes.
Make one thin hamburger patty, and fill the middle with your sauteed onions, and top with another thin patty. Pinch the sides together so your onions don't fall out.
If you are cooking the burgers in the oven, put the cheese on top and bake on 350 for approximately 20 minutes.
If you are cooking on the grill, cook on both sides until the middle is cooked through...about 12-15 minutes total, and put the cheese on at the very end to melt.



No comments:

Post a Comment