Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My "German" Meal



This was a very good supper, I must say. I say "German" because it has German overtones. It is pork in a mustard oil, turnips and cauliflower puree, and cabbage in a creamy mustard sauce. Geoff and I both loved it. I found the cabbage recipe at To Food With Love. I didn't have bacon, so I just used some leftover bacon fat to fry up the onions instead of olive oil. I also used garlic powder instead of fresh.

For the turnip and cauliflower puree, I cooked half of a large turnip until it was fork tender, steamed half a head of cauliflower until it was fork tender, then pureed it in my food processor with about 3 tbsp. of butter, a bit of nutmeg, and salt and pepper. It was creamy, and full of wonderful flavour. It has a nice combination of both vegetables without overpowering one another.
Kate, you would love this!

The pork was a pork tenderloin cleaned up, then I mixed together some coconut oil, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper, thyme and rosemary. Then I just poured it over the meat, turned it to get it all over, then baked it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I let it sit for 10 minutes then sliced it up. Next time though, I would let it bake for 40 minutes. It wasn't quite cooked enough for me.




This is the dessert we had last night. It is a peach blueberry something....buckle? I am not sure, but it is made with frozen blueberries, frozen peaches, some Splenda, some arrowroot flour, and cinnamon, with a Coconut Flour Biscuit topping. The biscuit topping can be found here: Wellness Mama.  I found that I needed to add 1/4 c of coconut flour, not 1/3, because it was a bit runny.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for linking back to my page. Love cauliflower purée (and all things cauliflower) though never tried it with turnip before. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete