Saturday, February 22, 2014

Ginger Beef



Well, I just had to try this recipe. Lin, it just doesn't look as good as the photo you showed us. I have to admit to being disappointed. I found the beef tough, and despite my claims, I used 3 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar instead of 2, and as I feared, it kind of overwhelmed the overall flavour. I also didn't use the tomatoes cause...that's just weird to me. :)   I changed a few things and added notes for me for next time. There will be a next time, because I feel with some tweaking, this could be a really good recipe. It was missing something...maybe a bit of sweetness, or maybe some soy sauce? Couldn't place my finger on it. If any of you try it and do some tweaking of your own, please let me know!
I served this with shiritaki spaghetti and steamed broccoli with a bit of soy sauce.

 Ginger Beef

Yields: 2 Servings

2 sirloin steaks (4oz each), cut in strips
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion diced
1 clove garlic crushed
2 diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar *
Salt and pepper

1. Place the oil in a large skillet and brown the steaks in it over medium-high heat.
2. When both sides are well-seared, add the onion, garlic, and tomatoes.
3. In a bowl, stir the ginger, salt and pepper into the vinegar and add that mixture to the skillet, stirring to combine.
4. Cover the skillet, turn the heat to low, and let the whole thing simmer until liquids evaporates completely.

* Use only 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, and more fresh ginger. I used about a 4" piece.
Maybe a 5-6" piece next time. I grated it on the large side of the grater, and put half with the garlic, and the other half with the sauce. I did put the ground ginger into the sauce as well.
I would also use chicken or pork instead of beef. Needs something else....not sure what. The concept is good though!

Nutritional Facts
(Per Serving)
Calories: 208
Protein: 31g
Carbohydrates: 3g
Fat: 8g

No comments:

Post a Comment