Sunday, January 26, 2014

Coconut & Shrimp Patties and Avocado Mayo Dipping Sauce


Coconut and Shrimp Patties and Avocado Mayo Dipping Sauce




I wanted to make a seafood dish and this fit the bill just right for me. I found this recipe at The Healthy Foodie. The author of this recipe asked that I not put the recipe on my blog, so you will have to go to her site to see the recipe.

A warning however; don't use a blender for this recipe. It makes a gummy/babyfood consistency near the bottom while not mixing anything at the top. I wound up adding some coconut milk to the mixture after stirring it with a knife all the while being plugged in. ( I know Mom, don't say it) It wound up being too gummy to make any proper patties. It did work out because I dropped the said gummycakes onto the coconut and made a sort of round patty. And it was tasty! I found the Avocado Mayo Dipping Sauce on the bland side. Next time I will add some garlic and salt, and maybe a bit more ancho chili powder. I think I may have not added enough avocado, or maybe too much mayo, because my dipping sauce was rather runny. Time for a food processor!
I added the Asian Slaw as our side dish. See the Recipe below. I can't remember where I got the recipe for the slaw, so if anyone knows, please email me.


 

Asian Slaw

 Ingredients
1 small to medium head green cabbage outer leaves removed, quartered and shredded finely
1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts chopped briefly in a food processor
1 bunch green onions green and white parts thinly sliced
1 cup cilantro roughly chopped
Salt
1 tsp white pepper
Dressing:
1/2 cup canola oil
4 Tbl rice vinegar
1 Tbl + 1 tsp sugar
1 Tbl sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
 
Instructions
Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Whisk the dressing ingredients in a bowl until emulsified. Taste and adjust to your preferences. (Add more sugar if you want it sweeter, more soy sauce if you want it saltier, more vinegar if you want it tangier, etc.)
Toss with the cabbage. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Taste again and adjust seasonings before serving.
  
 I used a bag of broccoli slaw, and completely forgot about the peanuts.
1 Tbsp of sesame oil is waaaay too much! Next time I will just add 1 tsp and then try it.
This made approximately 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment