Friday, January 24, 2014

30 Minute Butter Chicken with Cauliflower "Rice"



This is the first recipe I made after deciding to start my low carb way of life. I have to admit, it was terribly difficult (and still is in some ways) to figure this whole thing out, but I must be doing something right, as my blood sugars are almost under control! After only 2 weeks! I found this recipe at The Iron You.
I couldn't find fenugreek leaves anywhere, so I left them out, and I also used unsweetened almond milk instead of the regular milk, and I used the heavy cream, as I do not like yogurt.
To make the cauliflower "rice" I grated a fresh head of cauliflower (I found that half a head of cauliflower was just enough for Geoff and I) in a cheese grater, and put it in one of those Ziplock Steam bag for the microwave for 3 minutes. I found that wasn't quite enough to cook it to my liking, so I will try 4 minutes next time.


30-Minute Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)

Yields: 4 Servings

Ingredients
3/4 lb boneless chicken cubed
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions finely chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
pinch Dried fenugreek leaves
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons Greek Yogurt or Heavy cream
Fresh cilantro for garnish
 
Instructions
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat melt the butter, add onion and saute’ until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, coriander, chili powder, turmeric and 1 teaspoon of salt and saute’ for a minute, until spices are fragrant.
Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring every now and then. Turn off the heat and with an immersion blender (or using a stand blender) purée until smooth.
Turn the heat back on to low, add fenugreek (if using), milk and chicken. Cook covered for about 14 to 16 minutes until the chicken is soft and cooked through, stirring every so often.
When the chicken is cooked through, remove the lid and cook for further 2 minutes. Add Garam Masala, Greek yogurt and mix well, making sure it doesn’t boil.
Adjust seasoning to taste and serve sprinkled with fresh chopped cilantro.

One serving yields 263 calories, 11 grams of fat, 12.6 grams of carbs and 30.6 grams of protein.




No comments:

Post a Comment