Saturday, March 1, 2014

Low Carb Clam Soup


I did it! I made my first low carb recipe. :)
This is my Low Carb Clam Soup. I have a recipe I have had around for many years, but it had potatoes in it, so I figured if I use cauliflower for my "potatoes", why not add it to clam soup?
So here is my recipe.

 Low Carb Clam Soup 


Not a chowder, because it isn't really thick, but it is warming and hearty anyway.

5 slices Nitrate free bacon cut into 1" pieces
1 Leek quartered and sliced
1 Onion chopped
3 Stalks celery chopped
3 c Chicken broth
2 8oz Jars of clam juice
6 1/2 oz Can chopped clams drained, reserving juice
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 head Cauliflower cut into a bit larger florets
2 c Heavy whipping cream

 In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crispy. Add the leeks, onions, and celery. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken broth, clam juice, reserved clam juice, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the cauliflower and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add the cream and the drained clams, and adjust seasonings to your taste. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
Serve.
Makes approximately 5-6 1 cup servings.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 387.4
Total Fat 34.7 g
Cholesterol 130.4 mg
Sodium 639.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
Sugars 1.0 g
Protein 10.9 g

Now this is my first recipe I have actually written, and I forgot to measure out exactly how many servings there were. Geoff and I had a large bowl (2 cups) and there was about 3 cups leftover, so it depends on how much soup you want, I guess? I never did figure out how people know these things. LOL

I served this with a wonderful biscuit recipe found here. Sugar Free Mom I didn't have fresh basil, so I used 1/2 tsp of dried basil, and I didn't have real parsley so I used dried as well. I also used 1/4 cup coconut instead of 1/3 cup because I found it was too runny. Geoff said I could make these everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment